Soupy Sunday: Cheddar Beer Soup

As a teenager, I once had the most amazing soup a local restaurant restaurant. And then they never had it on the menu again. I have since searched and searched for the cheesy, malty, delicious goodness that is cheddar beer soup. I'm not sure why it took me so long to just make it myself... I think it probably has something to do with my inability to have a full bag of Daiya in the house for longer than 2 minutes. I can't resist a stringy grilled cheese or some gooey nachos. 


Last week I had in my possession a golden ticket good for one free bag of whichever Daiya flavour I happened to want. I had worked out a recipe, went to the store to buy all of the ingredients at once and managed to get 98% of a bag of cheese into the soup. The other 2% I sneakily ate right out of the bag, something my brother tells me is weird and gross.

My only warning when making this soup, aside from the obvious risk of death from pleasure, is to choose your beer carefully. The brew really determines the finally character of the dish. To be safe, go for something light. if you want to be brave and try a double IPA like I did, go ahead but, don't blame me when the hops attack your mouth. The soup base is a solid recipe and I'm pretty sure you don't actually need the beer for it to be awesome. But it's beer. In a soup. Clearly everyone needs to experience this in all of it's glory.


Cheddar Beer Soup
Makes 6 Servings

Ingredients
2 tbsp Earth Balance
2 leeks, sliced every half inch
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 celery ribs, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 cups vegetable broth
12 ounces beer
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp paprika
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 package Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
2 cups vegan buttermilk*
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, melt Earth Balanceover medium heat. Add leeks, potatoes, celery and carrots and sauté until vegetablesbecome soft, (10-15mins). Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Combine vegetablemixture with broth and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth and return to thepot. Add the beer, mustard, and paprika. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.Stir in nutritional yeast and Daiya until fully melted and incorporated. Stirin buttermilk and season to taste. Top with chives and serve with toast and apint. Cheers!

* Tomake vegan buttermilk simply add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 2cups of plain soymilk. Let the mixture stand for ten minutes. If it looks likeit’s curdling, you’ve done it right.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top