Soupy Sunday: Caraway Dill Bean Soup

VeganMoFo has given me the push to finally start a weekly series I am calling Soupy Sundays. When I was growing up, we always had a big pot of homemade soup made each weekend. I love that, with soup, you can make 10 times more than you need and enjoy it for the rest of the week as a meal or snack. And soup is so easy; most of the time it's one pot, done. Enjoy Soup Sundays, everyone. You have my permission to slurp.


It has suddenly become extremely chilly here in Toronto. So chilly, in fact, that we seem to have skipped over cute fall jacket weather and gone straight to gloves, scarves and thick coats. Unfortunately, all of my thick coats are hanging in other people's closets because we only have one, very tiny, nook in which to put all of our hangings. To warm us up while still keeping a hold on the fresh, crisp flavours of summer I made my Caraway Dill Bean Soup.

I've always had a soft spot for caraway rye breads but, I can't always find them in my grocery or bakery because people put silly things like eggs and milk into their doughs. With this soup I can get all of my caraway cravings managed along with a good helping of protein and veg. Oh and, who doesn't love fresh dill? No one, that's who.


Caraway Dill Bean Soup
Makes a lot. Takes 30 minutes.

Ingredients
2 cups leeks, cut once lengthwise and sliced ½ inch widthwise
2 tbsp Earth Balance
1 cup celery, sliced ½ widthwise
2 cups red bell pepper, cut into ¾ inch pieces
2 cans (540ml each) beans, undrained*
1 can (759ml) diced tomatoes, undrained**
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp caraway seeds
Salt to taste
½ cup, tightly packed, fresh dill

In a large soup pot, over medium heat, melt EarthBalance and sauté leeks until soft, (approx. 5 min). Add celery and sauté 1 minutemore. Add bell peppers, beans, tomatoes, broth and caraway seeds. Bring to aboil and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and salt as desired. Add dill and removefrom heat. Garnish with even more dill, if desired. Eat.

* I use one can of Romanobeans and one can of either red or white kidney beans. Whatever you have onhand, though, will work. Also, yes, I know. I use canned beans. I’m lazy.
** I like to use unsalted canned tomatoes. I’m not a big salter so, I like to know exactly how much I’m putting into anything I make.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top