Soupy Sunday: Barley Soup for the Sick

I had said I was taking a break this weekend because I haven't been feeling well. But, then I wanted some soup and I figured if I was going to make some I might as well blog it. This is the kind of thing I like to eat when I'm all stuffy and headachy - hot, gingery, hearty yet fresh.


Barley Soup for the Sick
Makes 6 Servings

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp ginger
2 tbsp Italian spice blend*
2 cloves garlic, finely diced or pressed
8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup barley
3 medium carrots, chopped into 1/4'' disks
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 package Yves Chicken Veggie Strips

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, roughly 10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and Italian spices and sauté 1 minute more. Add broth, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add barley and simmer for 20 minutes, until barley is al dente. Add celery and carrots and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve hot with toast and tea.

* My go to Italian spice blend is basil, oregano, marjoram and thyme. You can buy it pre-mixed or, mix up your own and store it in a nice looking glass jar. I really like storing things in pretty glass jars.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

top