Niagara-on-the-Lake 2011: Frogpond Farm

My partner and his mother and I took a long-weekend vacation this past Labour Day and I'm gonna tell y'all ALL about it. Just not all at once. Let's start with the first winery we toured, the winery I was most excited to visit because it's all organic and better still, all vegan!

There are lots of people who don't realize that wine isn't always vegan, or even vegetarian, for that matter. As someone on a wine tour put it, "What animal died for this?!" [insert smug laughter here]. I took a breath and, as calmly as I could, explained that wines (and beers and liquors) can contain animal products either as an ingredient, or more likely, in the finings. (Finings are products used as filters, read more here!) Some common finings are: egg whites, milk, gelatin, isinglass, and even blood. Yes. Blood.


But Frogpond Farm uses (almost) only vegan friendly methods to make their wines. (Their 2001 Riesling used isinglass, everything else is vegan!)* You can read more about them on their website: frogpondfarm.ca. All tours at the farm are self-guided, which is actually pretty awesome. You can walk around with a glass of wine, sample the grapes right off the vine and chat with their sheep. I most enjoyed the 2008 cabernet-merlot, so much so I took a bottle home for myself and another for a gift.

(Check out the LCBO website for availability near you. Also, if you're in Toronto, Fresh restaurants serve Frogpond.)

*Source: Barnivore, which was last updated two years ago, however, I was informed over Labour Day weekend that their wines are still vegan.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top