Peach Pie - Success!





After the great blueberry pie debacle of August '11 I was more than okay with hanging up my pie baking apron for a long, long time. As you can tell, I get pretty easily discouraged and when something doesn't go my way, I am kind of notorious for quitting. Paul, not so much. Particularly when something delicious is involved. He wanted to try again. This time with a big basket of peaches we got from the market.



While he was at work I made the dough for the crust and let it chill until he got home - then he handled the rest because I had zero faith in working this out. Zero. Back to cupcakes and cookies for me. Pies are just too high maintenance.



After seeing my blueberry pie disaster, my mom did offer me a helpful hint. She told me to make 1 1/2 times the recommended dough amount. My glass pie plate is rather large and I think the recipe we use from Joy of Vegan Baking has a smaller dish in mind.







The extra dough, coupled with baking it at the correct temperature for once, made for a damn near perfect peach pie:







It's kind of funny because I always thought I didn't like pie. Now I find myself obsessed with it. Enough so that I've already pre-ordered my copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky and am plotting to give fall a proper welcome in a couple weeks, with a homemade apple pie. Can you believe that I have never had apple pie? I swear, sometimes it's like I'm from another planet.



Oh, and if you want to make this peach pie, the filling is super duper easy. Measurements are approximate, feel free to wing it:



5-6 cups peeled peaches

1 tsp lemon juice

1/3 cup flour

3/4 cup raw cane sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt



Toss it all together, put it in the first crust, cover it with the second crust and then bake it at 400F for 10 minutes, 350F for an additional 30 minutes (or until the crust is golden and it smells delicious). You can also sprinkle a little extra sugar on top before you bake, it gives it a nice little crunch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top