Morty's Pub, Waterloo (and my 28th Birthday)



To say that I don't handle birthdays appropriately is a pretty big understatement.

A lot of people don't like getting older. There's nothing weird about that. However, there is something weird about the way I break into a cold sweat every September 13th, in anticipation of the big day to follow. I don't know why I'm like this, but I always kind of have been, even as a kid. It's just getting worse the older that I get.

I suppose it's just another one of the quirky neuroticisms that my patient and understanding friends have come to accept about me.

Anyway, this year I wanted to spend September 14th moping around the house, possibly dragging a bottle of wine behind me. Paul was having none of that. So we met somewhere in the middle - a relatively calm night of burgers and beers with friends at Morty's Pub in Waterloo.

When I was in university, and not yet vegan, we pretty much existed solely on Morty's chicken wings. And admittedly, it's not the first place you would think of for hosting a vegan's birthday dinner. But from my pregan days I know that the staff is really friendly and helpful and the place itself has a relaxed, laid back feeling. Plus, they have lots of beer. This makes it a prime location for marking the dreaded 28.

Also, I'd heard great things about their veggie burger and hadn't yet had a chance to get out there and try it.



As promised, it was a great night full of wonderful friends and pitchers of beer and yes, delicious veggie burgers. The one I got is pictured at the start of this post, buried under a whole lotta hot peppers. Paul got the veggie double stack, because he is a bottomless pit:



After a few hours at Morty's and more beer than I thought I actually drank, it was home to pajamas and the PVR'd Big Brother 13 finale - I'm such a wild child!

With one more thing -



Paul made me a half batch of my most favourite cupcakes - Dulce sin Leche from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World!



I wish I had some more pictures to share, but I managed to sneak my adorable little 7-week old goddaughter into every shot we took, just to give it that extra cuteness bump, and I don't like posting pictures of other people's kids. Or any kids, for that matter. I tend to watch a lot of Dateline; it fuels the paranoia.

I guess I can share one more of me, with a couple of my birthday gifts, because you'll all benefit from them - two new vegan cookbooks!



Thanks to all my friends who came out and who sent wishes and thanks to Morty's Pub for taking such good care of us. And thanks to whatever powers may be as well as the Gregorian calendar for making my birthday only come around once a year.

Morty's Pub
272 King Street North
Waterloo, Ontario
(519) 886-0440

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top