Childhood in Grown-up-ness


Lately, it seems, the Lord has given me incredible moments of childhood. Swings are new and exciting again. Somehow there is the possibility for joy in the most insignificant of moments. It began a few weeks ago when I rediscovered a little playground nearby. There I flew as high as I could possibly fly on the big swing, danced around the grass in bare feet, jumped on the bouncy see-saw, and hung upside-down from the bars. I sat in the middle of the field and crushed dry birch leaves in my hands, surrounded by their sweet scent, and engulfed by waves of unclear yet beautiful memories.

Babysitting has been good medicine for my grown-up-ness. They showed me reliance on authority (for me, my King!), and the simple joys of forging new trails through a patch of bush, or ruling the neighbourhood aboard a rattling scooter. I thought my scooter had long since found its way to the dump, but when I returned home, there it was, nestled among old flower pots and jugs of lawnmower gasoline at the back of the shed. It still has a 'Jesus Loves Me' sticker on it that I remember thinking was super cool, many moons ago. So I took her for a spin, the bones in my hands being grated as we scooted over some of the bumpier roads. I still get a thrill out of going downhill, and my mind still starts running, dreaming up all sorts of situations and scenarios that I and my imaginary world could find ourselves in. To say I missed it would be misleading--growing up has been good--but how I am enjoying 'returning to my roots', and re-loving the joys of my younger years. I praise the Lord for this gift.

I'm going to enjoy my childhood more, as life goes on.  I'm certain of it.   And I think He would like that.

"Taking a child, He set him before them, and taking him in His arms, He said to them, "Whoever receives one child like this in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me does not receive Me, but Him who sent Me." "  Mark 9:36-37

Wow.  Me doing anything within the will of God, is me receiving Jesus, which is me receiving the fullness of God.  Something to ponder, for sure.  And Oh, how Jesus loved children!

Sheila

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top