Ginger Pudding


So this morning I got up and baked.  Because it was delicious and yummy and super easy and fun to make.  This one is from Lesotho, and it's called ginger pudding.  I made a sweet and beautiful custard to pour over it, and enjoyed it all morning for breakfast, and brunch, and lunch...and dessert after supper.  :-)

Thank you Lord for baking!

Ginger Pudding (Lesotho)
This steamed pudding is common in British-influenced southern Africa.

Serves 6-8
375*F / 190*C
50-55 min

Combine in 9-inch square baking dish:
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs vinegar
Stir until sugar dissolves.  Set aside.

In separate bowl combine:
1/3 cup margarine, melted (I used butter)
1/3 cup shortening, melted 
2 Tbs apricot, currant, or plum jam (I used about 5 Tbs of peach jam)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I used...5, 6?)

Mix well, adding a bit of milk if batter is too dry (I did add quite a bit, and here's where I added the extra jam too).  Preheat oven to 375*F (I did this when I started mixing).  Drop cake mixture by small spoonfuls into syrup.  Cover tightely with lid or foil (so it steams) and bake 50-55 minutes or until set.  Serve topped with custard, fresh or whipped cream, or milk. (Whoops!  I forgot to cover mine, but it still set, and was awesome and cakey and had beautiful gooey sauce at the bottom.)

For the custard sauce: (my own recipe)

Combine in saucepan:
2 Tbs corn starch
Pinch salt
2 1/2 Tbs sugar

Beat egg separately, adding a little cold milk. 
Mix remaining of 2 1/2 cups milk into cornstarch mixture.  Add egg mixture by straining through a sieve to remove firm parts.

Cook over medium heat, whisking most of the time until boiling.  Boil 1-2 minutes.  Add:
1 tsp vanilla

Yum yum.  :-)

Enjoy, friends!  Perhaps your entire day will be taken up by ginger pudding like mine was... if it is, let me know.  It's bound to be a good day.

In Him,
Sheila

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top