About the Fruitcake ...


I'm going to make a cheating fruitcake in celebration of the Royal Wedding. I even have some marzipan that I forgot to use at Christmas. Fruitcakes are the traditional cakes for weddings in the UK. I remember that people would cut pieces up of this cake and mail it out it in little cardboard boxes lined with paper doilies to people who hadn't been able to attend a wedding! The fruit didn't need refrigerating and I think one used not to worry about the Royal Icing or the marzipan going bad in transit.

I don't have time for the whole proper fandango of making a British fruitcake before Friday, so I'm going to whip up a Bara Brith -- a Welsh recipe for a boiled fruitcake. I got the recipe from the UK years ago. Here's the recipe for one cake -- actually it's in the shape of a loaf, like in the photo. I think I shall have to use a bit more fruit than is in the recipe below, and perhaps add a tad of cocoa to make the cake look a bit darker and more like a traditional English fruitcake.

Ingredients
(This is for 1 fruitcake -- just double up to make 2)
1 cup of sugar, preferably soft brown
1 cup of milk
4 oz butter or margarine
8 oz mixed fruit
2 eggs
8 oz Self Raising Flour
Mixed spice and cinnamon (optional)

Method:

Place sugar, milk, butter and mixed fruit into a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until fruit has moistened.

Allow mixture to cool before adding eggs, one at a time, and beating in well. Add flour gradually stirring in along with the mixed spices if required.

Place in a lined tin and place in oven 190 C for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
(I translated that to be a small loaf pan which I lined with parchment paper the last time I made this recipe. I looked up to find out that the oven would be 350-375 degrees F)

Bara Brith is lovely just served without anything else but slatherings of butter at tea time! However, this time I think that, with a bit of marzipan and a some of white icing along with the C & W cypher drawn on the top, I could feel like I was part of the Royal Wedding party.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top