Natural Birth 101: An Introduction to Natural Birth


Okay friends, the time has come!  I am going to do a series on natural birth.  I have no idea how long it will take or how many posts I'll end up doing, but there is so much good information out there, and I am super excited to share some of what I have picked up along the way over the past few years with you all.  Of course, I'm not a Mum, (yet!) but I am a doula (should be certified by June!) and what's generally referred to as a 'birth junkie'.  :-)  I hope this series will be enjoyable to you all, and don't worry, among the birth-y posts will be my regular posts as well.

I will elaborate on the details of birth and the terms we can use to speak of its infinite beauty, but for now, let me simply explain what I mean when I speak of 'natural childbirth'.

I am a proponent of natural childbirth.  What does this mean?  It means that I believe birth to be a beautiful, wonderful, life-changing process designed perfectly by God, by which a new child is brought into our world.  During childbirth, it is not only the baby who is born, but a family.  It is not something that a Mother must endure, but something that the Mother and the Father (if possible!) do together, to bring about something incredibly good.  While a birthing Mother is someone to be reckoned with, certainly, childbirth is not something done by yourself, it is a team effort.  Pregnancy is not a disease, and should not be treated as such.  Neither should childbirth be treated as a problem we need to fix.  Pregnancy and childbirth are normal and wonderful parts of human existence.

There are unfortunate exceptions to the above scenario.  Fortunately, we have the ability to help when something goes wrong, but the medical system is not needed when childbirth goes well!  Unnatural childbirth can be beautiful, if one's attitude is right, but I do still believe that it should not be our first choice.

To let birth happen the way God intended is exciting, sometimes scary, sometimes painful, sometimes exhilarating, and always wonderful. 

Why do I love birth so much?  Because of all that I've said above, and all I will say in future posts.  And why else?  Because the Lord has given me a passion to see babies be born into loving environments, and to see Mothers, Fathers, and yes, families be born and be passionate about children. 

Ps. 127:3 "Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward."

Thanks for reading!  I hope you are at least a little bit excited for the posts ahead.  Learning about childbirth is exciting!

In Him,
Sheila

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top